Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Back from vacation

I actually feel refreshed. I spent the week with my parents on Cape Cod. I haven't been there in over a decade. A lot has changed and a lot has stayed the same. The vacation was relaxing for once. I didn't feel as if I were off in a foreign city trying to maximize all the time I had available to see as much as possible. This trip was spent mainly by the seashore and in small towns. I went cycling about 44 miles one day-- which was exciting but a bit baffling due to limitations of the rental bicycle. After awhile it was fun but felt vaguely pointless because I couldn't get as much power out of the bike as I wanted and moderately cruised along past young families, teenagers and old people. After all that's what the Cape is all about -- roaming teenage gangs (with their parents not too far behind) and old people. Nights were spent reading; I brought 5 books with me and read 3 1/2 of them. The books I read were: "The Whistleblower: Confessions of a Health Care Hitman" by Peter Rost, M.D. (about exposing Pfizer), "Miracle Cures and Bloodletting" by Vincent Lam (a collection of short stories about a group of Doctors in Toronto), "The Big Clock" by Kenneth Fearing (an excellent Noir-type mystery) and "The Moro Affair" by Leonardo Sciasia -- all very enjoyable and compelling in their own ways.

I am slowly returning to work now. I have this steady compulsion to not stay at home as much and to go out and do things. Some friends are DJing tonight-- I may go check that out for a bit.

Other events that are coming up soon: I am DJing the early set at River Gods in Central Square Thursday September 13th. I'll keep you updated about that.

No comments: